Contact us

(780) 423-0909

Send us an email!

Contact details:


Your message has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Auto Insurance Quote

Contact details:

Your car:

Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Travel insurance Quote

Level of protection: $

Contact details:


Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Super VISA Insurance Quote

Level of protection: $

Contact details:

Have you used tobacco or nicotine products in the last 12 months?

Yes, I have No, I have not
Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

House insurance Quote

Your house:

Contact details:

Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Commercial Liability


Commercial General Liability Insurance in Edmonton

What is CGL and why does a business need it?

If you or your company members are to be held responsible for the damage caused to a third party, property or medical wise, you are going to need commercial general liability insurance or CGL. A coverage that will protect your business from facing legal troubles in the event you are sued by the suffered third party.

At A-Kan Insurance we help you combat or settle claims against your business for causing injury or property damage, which to be frank, can be quite a pain if not dealt carefully. For example, if a customer gets injured or hurt at your business site, or maybe an employee of yours accidentally damages property at

a client’s business place. You and your business become vulnerable because of potential lawsuits incoming.

It is very common to experience lawsuits in the business game. You can not leave your business open to such threats or else your business might face heavy damages that can take a long time to recover. This is why you need A-Kan Insurance to handle your interests and find you the best and most suitable protection.

What’s covered…?

There are four main types of coverage included in the standard Commercial General Liability (CGL) policy: Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability, Personal Injury Liability, Medical Payments, and Tenants’ Legal Liability (for those that rent or lease their workspace.) We’ll pick these off one-by-one with what will hopefully be an easy-to-understand explanation.


Basically, if your company, your product, your work, your employees, or anything else associated with your company causes physical injury to someone like a client, or damages their property or belongings, you could be held legally responsible. If held legally responsible you may be required to pay. It is in cases like these that your coverage will pay for the compensatory damages. Plainly put, compensatory damages are damages meant to compensate. Its purpose is to put things back the way they were (financially) prior to the injury or damage.


The phrase ‘personal injury’ is confusing because in the insurance world it means one thing, and everywhere else it often means something all-together different. While most people associate ‘personal injury’ with physical injury this is not the case with a CGL policy where it actually means damage (so to speak) of a person’s character, reputation and position in the community as a result of libel (in print) or slander (verbal defamation.) Remember, a liability policy is to protect you if you’re accused of libel or slander, not the other way around.


This part of your CGL policy is interesting, as its purpose is to provide coverage that pays someone’s minor medical expenses from an accident that happens at your company’s premises or as a result of your company’s operations—even though you may never be held legally liable for the accident. In fact, it’s often used as a way to avoid a costly lawsuit.


Suppose you don’t own the space where you’ve set up shop and rent your office, shop or retail space. If you are held legally responsible for causing a fire, explosion, smoke damage, or other damage caused by fire protection (like sprinklers going off) then this coverage will pay the compensatory damages (remember, the intent of compensatory damages is to put things back the way they were.) This applies only to damages of the rented premises – not the property (i.e. product, inventory etc.) that you may personally own.


A. One of your sales people is out on a call at a potential client’s store. The owner of this store thinks your product will sell well in their store and is considering placing an order. Unfortunately, in their over-zealous sales pitch your salesperson knocks over a whole display of very expensive figurines valued at over $25,000.

B. You’ve finally opened the doors to your trendy new lighting and fixture showroom and you’ve got the table and floor lamps, sconces, ceiling fans and chandeliers that all the city’s interior designers want. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to you, a shopper moved a few floor lamps around while deciding on whether they wanted to buy. In doing so, the lamp’s cord is no longer neatly tucked out of the way, and another shopper, a few hours later, trips and falls over the cord, breaking her ankle.


Comments are closed.

Take care of your child

Insurances for
your child's future

Curabitur iaculis ante a nibh vulputate sollicitudin.

Call Us today for expert insurance advice

Contact Us

About Us

We provide expert financial advice to both individuals and businesses. With more than 18 years of experience we’ll ensure that you’re always getting the best guidance from the most professional company in the industry.

Read More

Contact Millwoods

(780) 628-0099

E-mail address:

Millwoods 4227 23rd Avenue NW, Edmonton, AB T6L 5Z8

Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Saturday/Sunday : Closed

Contact Summerside

(780) 423-0909

E-mail address:

Summerside 437 Parsons Rd SW, Edmonton, AB T6X 0W6

Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Saturday/Sunday : Closed